Skip to main content

Blog 1: A Profile of an EdGlo-19 Student

A Profile of an EdGlo-19 Student

By Matthew Zwicker, University of Oulu, EdGlo 2019




If you have asked yourself why you drink a superfluous amount of water; or if you ever considered the vast cosmological wonders in the heavenlies, or if you have had the pure joy to experience an infant's laugh in true, untainted delight, then you and I would get along quite nicely.

Aloha kākou! O Matthew Makaio koʻu inoa. No Kailua Kona, Hawaii au, e Corvallis, Montana.
Hello! My name is Matthew, but some call me Makaio. Born and raised in Kailua Kona, Hawaii, USA, this islander moved to the tropical mountains of Montana just before my tenth birthday. Once I received my high school diploma, I attended Northwest University in Kirkland, Washington, USA. After graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Music Education, I moved back to Montana where I taught multiple subjects. Now, I am attending the University of Oulu to obtain a Master's in Education and Globalization (EdGlo).

My educational background is quite a diverse story. I attended a Montessori pre-school, a private kindergarten, public first and second grades, an Innovated Public Charter school in third and fourth grade, a public middle and high school and a private Christian University.

I have few expectations coming into EdGlo, but these expectations are what lead me to attend this program. I desire to work in the international education sector, whether that me working in the Ministry of Education in foreign countries, or work as an educational consultant in various cultures and systems. In order to have diverse perspectives on education, I am hopeful that the different EdGlo courses will provide projects, discussions and speakers to further expand our educational understandings. I am also particularly interested in attending courses that look at implementation of policies to praxis in different contexts.

Lastly, networking is a pivotal component in developing holistic understandings of education. Through attending different conferences and networking opportunities, I am hopeful to develop long-term personal and professional relationships that lead to delightful collaboration in the future.

In fact, these connections have already started. Our EdGlo 2019 class has already begun creating a warm environment where collaboration and community are foundational necessities to our educational journey here in Oulu. Through EdGlo, I am excited to see the opportunities that arise for all of us to succeed and achieve our dreams to be apart of this beautiful responsibility called educational development.

Comments